Tuesday, June 18, 2019

The Evolution of my Morning Routine

I was inspired by my dad to start walking every morning about 15 years ago. I go around my block twice in about half an hour.

A few years ago, I decided to meditate for ten minutes after walking each day. A few months ago, I bumped that up to 15 minutes, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

At my free Landmark seminar (which comes along with the Landmark Forum which isn't free), Crystal Neels inspired me to put another 10 minutes each day toward my well-being so I started doing pushups, squats, and situps, usually at some opportune time before noon, sometimes after. Nowadays, it's nearly always right after my walk. Being a creature of (good) habit is comforting. 

A friend suggested eating only fruit for a while, and also fasting. Now I have a fruit smoothie every morning for breakfast, but before I walk, I eat a protein bar and drink some water with electrolyte powder in it. My wife suggested these things and they have proven to make life much more enjoyable. Thanks, love! 

Today, I inserted writing between the extra ten minutes of exercise and meditating. Making the fulfillment of a commitment part of your routine seems like a great way to make it easier to keep. Bonus points for anyone who figures out what motivated me to add writing to my morning routine today. 

No comments: