Friday, May 6, 2011

Send the IRS a Certified Letter

The IRS provides a live chat help function, and I figured I'd use it to find out where I can send my questions about taxation.  Unfortunately, the live chat wasn't much help.  For your entertainment, here is how it went:

Chat InformationThank you for contacting the IRS Web Site Help Desk, one of our representatives will be with you in approximately 1 minute(s). We would like your feedback regarding your chat experience. At the conclusion of this chat, you will be invited to take a short survey. Thank you.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Andrea'
Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK4190162860788X
Andrea: Thank you for contacting the IRS.gov Web Site Help Desk.  How may I help you?
Dave Scotese: If I want to send something certified mail to the IRS, what is the best address to use?
Andrea: We apologize, but the IRS Service Centers do not list their street addresses on the IRS Web site. For any mailing alternative not available on the IRS Web site, please call our toll-free assistance line at: Individuals: 1-800-829-1040 Businesses: 1-800-829-4933 Outside the U.S.: 215-516-2000 TTY/TDD: 1-800-829-4059 IRS Hours of Operation: 7:00 am to 10:00 pm, Monday through Friday
Andrea: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Dave Scotese: So there is no way to get a written address from the IRS for the address to use?
Andrea: The IRS website does have address available on the website to mail particular items, but the do not provide the actual street address for these locations.
Andrea: If you need the actual street address you will need to call one of the numbers provided above related to you specific situation.
Andrea: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Dave Scotese: I looked through those items, but none of them fit the requirement. The certified letter I would like to send is a list of questions.
Andrea: I do apologize, you will need to call the number provided above for further assistance. 
Dave Scotese: Thanks for trying anyway.

I heard there was an address for them in Fresno, so I'm going to try this one:
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Fresno, CA 93888-0002

No comments: