Monday, February 2, 2009

Don't wait til I'm sixty-four.

Kim (my lovely wife) pointed out to me today that I am rebellious sometimes to the detriment of those I love. I know it's true. Adam (a good old friend) once suggested that my problem was that I'd test, for example, the strength of a guitar by standing on the neck and the body to see how much weight it would support. I used to break the toys that Lee (my older brother) got because... I can't remember, but I like to imagine it was because I wanted to see how they work.

So a few days ago, Jessica (CAVA Teacher) sent Kim and me an email explaining that Anna (our 4th grade daughter) would have to take a state mandated writing test on March 3rd and that there would be no make up test. State mandated??!! So I wrote back:
Hi Jessica,

I have a burning curiosity to know what will happen to those 4th and 7th graders who do not make it to the test. Can you find out? I'm sure Anna will make it, but that doesn't stop my curiosity. In fact, it makes it stronger. Is that bad?
She wrote back:
You never cease to amaze me. Both Julia and yourself have a knack for research and poking for information.
I wrote back "I hope we inspire others!" but Kim pointed out the negative part of it. It's possible that Jessica could sense and get frustrated by my rebellious nature (which wouldn't be a problem) and retaliate for it (which would be). This is why I'm asking you not to wait. Although I have put effort into being more careful with my rebellion, there might still be holes in my strategy. I'm hoping there are enough people close enough to me to tell me when I need to tone it down.

1 comment:

StarLizard said...

"Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64?"

I think the Beatles had it right, Dave. The only reason you're actually listening and pondering and willing to tame that rebellious streak is you know they will. They being Kim, and your daughters. They'll need you, and feed you, and love you, way after 64 has come and gone.

And that's what it's all about, isn't it? Because really, what that teacher thinks or feels is besides the point. You have a valid question. You ask it. Too few people do.

But asking can lead to mistrust, annoyance, and retaliation. And this is what your wife is gently inserting into your train of thought.

And because they'll still love you no matter what, you want to give that back and do the very best you can to show them that you only mean the best as well.

I'm glad that your daughter is growing up to question things like her dad. I'm happy that more people are bound to do that as we teach them. Is that egocentric and selfish of me? Of course. But I don't have a husband, or kids, to remind me of that fact. Friends do, on occasion. But unless I have a good explanation and they can present a reasonable case, I tend to tone it down, but not shut it off.

What is this world coming to if you can't question, analyze, understand? When people being asked such things get offended because they think others don't have a right to understand things they probably don't even understand themselves?

Lift the veil. But gently :)